- 2 thick-cut slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 (12-ounce) small ham steak, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 to 3 ears), or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 pound fresh lima beans in pods, shelled (1 1/2 cups), or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 bunch scallions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch pieces, white and pale green parts separate
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Cook the bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving the fat in the pan. Add the ham and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, lima beans and the white parts of the scallions and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and most of the water has reduced, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the bacon, scallion greens and season with salt and pepper.
BYOC: Try adding some red or orange peppers for some extra color.
Recipe courtesy of Claire Robinson, 2010