Cornmeal Battered Trout
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 rainbow or brook trout, dressed and butterflied
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Lemon slices, as a garnish
- Serving suggestion: Southern tartar sauce (chopped piccalilli mixed with mayonnaise) and hot green pepper sauce.
Mix egg and water and slowly whisk in flour and cornmeal. Add parsley, garlic salt, onion salt, salt, and ground white pepper. Lay prepared fish in batter while oil is heating.
In heavy skillet (preferably cast iron or non-stick), heat oil over medium-high heat until a 1/2 teaspoon batter dropped into it sizzles and begins to brown. Fry fish for 3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Garnish with lemon slices and flat-leaf parsley leaves.