Crabmeat Crepe Bundles
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked through for shells and cartilage
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Creole mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce preferably Crystal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 Basic Crepes, at room temperature, recipe follows
- 6 blanched chives
- Basic Crepes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
In a medium bowl, gently mix together all of the ingredients, except for the crepes and blanched chives.
Spread the crepes on a flat work surface and divide the crabmeat mixture evenly among the centers of the crepes, about 1/4 cup crab mixture for each crepe. Draw up the tops of each crepe as though making a bundle, twisting the crepe gently to enclose the crabmeat. Tie a chive around the top of each crepe to form a bundle, forming a "purse." Repeat with the remaining crepes.
Serve immediately, or store, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.Basic Crepes:
Whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, salt, and 3 tablespoons of the butter to form a smooth, thin batter. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before proceeding.
Heat a heavy 6-inch skillet or crepe pan over medium-high heat. When hot, brush with a light coating of the remaining butter. Ladle about 2 ounces of crepe batter into the pan, tilting the skillet to evenly coat the pan with batter. Cook until golden brown on the bottom and the top begins to look dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully turn the crepe and cook on the second side just until the bottom colors slightly, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with waxed paper to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
Yield: 12 (6-inch) crepes