Crispy Broccoli with Capellini in Broth
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds, stems removed and florets trimmed into pieces 2 inches long with a stem about 1/2-inch thick (4 to 5 cups)
- 1 quart chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh capellini
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the broccoli and season with salt, to taste. Cover and cook until just crispy and brown around the edges, about 3 minutes. Remove the cover, stir, and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cover and cook until the florets are crisp but tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and pepper flakes.
Add the capellini to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the skillet with the broccoli and stock. Stir in 1/2 the cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.. Divide among 4 warmed soup plates and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Recipe courtesy Sara Moulton, Sara Moulton Cooks at Home, Broadway Books, 2002