- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 shallots, minced (4 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, snipped
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Cranberry Jam, recipe follows
Wash the potatoes and grate them by hand using the coarse side of a grater. Put the grated potato into a clean dish towel and wring well to remove the excess water. Place grated potato in a large bowl. Add the shallots, garlic, eggs, flour, tarragon, chives, mustard, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
Pour 1/4 cup of the oil into an 8-inch skillet and place over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Carefully place a heaping tablespoon of the latke mix into the hot oil and flatten a little. Add 3 more to the pan and fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all the latke mix has been used; you'll have to replenish the cooking oil about halfway through. Keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve. Sprinkle latkes with chives and serve with Cranberry Jam on the side.