Decadent Cheese Pie
- Pie dough for two crusted pie (see recipe below)
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound fresh mild goat's cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped parsley and fresh basil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces tomato puree
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sliced black oil cured olives
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into matchstick pieces
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the eggs with the ricotta cheese, goat's cheese, scallions, parsley and basil and Parmesan and season well with salt and pepper.
In a medium skillet heat the olive oil. Stir in the garlic and oregano. When the garlic is on the verge of turning golden, add the tomato puree, paste and olives. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread half of the cheese mixture in the prepared pie shell. Spread half of mozzarella, sauce and bell pepper. Make a second layer with ricotta cheese, mozzarella, sauce and bell pepper. Cover with the top crust and pinch edges together and flute them.
Make 3 long parallel slashes through the top crust. Set pie plate on a baking sheet to catch drips and bake for 40 minutes or until well browned. Let stand for 1 hour. Serve with a crisp green salad with mustard dressing.