DeFalco's Authentic Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 to 4 fresh Italian sausages, casings removed
- One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- One 28-ounce can tomato puree
- One 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 8-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, sausages and onions and cook until lightly brown.
Add the crushed San Marzano tomatoes and 1/2 can water, bring to a simmer. Add the tomato puree, 1/2 can of water and simmer again. Repeat with the tomato sauce, again adding 1/2 can of water and bring the sauce to a simmer. Add the tomato paste and cook through.
Add the basil, parsley, marsala wine, pepper, salt and sugar into the pot and stir. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring frequently.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.