Lamb Stew with Orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lamb cubes (lean, from leg and shoulder)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed, trimmed and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large carrots, cut into coins (about 2 cups)
- 2 parsnips, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chick peas, drained
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 (15-ounce), can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 large orange, segmented, juice reserved
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat oil in an 8-quart Dutch oven or other large pot over high heat until hot but not smoking. Season meat lightly with salt and pepper and sear in oil until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to incorporate, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, parsnips, chick peas, wine, chicken broth, tomato sauce, orange zest, segments and juice, and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb is tender, about 90 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and ladle into bowls. Top with fresh mint and serve.
Recipe Analysis Note: Recipe Analysis Note: Ingredients without discrete measurements such as "Salt, to taste" or "Ice cream, optional" are omitted from analysis. This is because amounts can be highly variable and difficult to determine.
2007, Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Vic "Vegas" Moea