Baby Lettuce Salad with Herbed Red Wine Vinaigrette and Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary
- 10 ounces baby lettuces, such as tango and lollo rosso
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted black olives, such as oil-cured or kalamata
- 1/3 cup (1 to 1 1/2 ounces) thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
In a mixing bowl combine the vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Combine the vegetable oil and olive oil in a pourable measuring cup. While continuously whisking the vinegar mixture, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until completely emulsified. Whisk in the fresh herbs.
Place the lettuces in a large salad bowl and add the olives. Add enough vinaigrette to just coat the lettuce and toss to thoroughly combine. Divide among salad plates and top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish. Drizzle with more vinaigrette, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray