Cold Peanut, Chicken, and Soba Noodle Salad
- 12 ounces dried soba noodles, or other buckwheat noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green tops only)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, stem removed, and minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sherry
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips and lightly poached, and chilled
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, cover and refrigerate.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine 2 tablespoons of the green onions, the jalapenos, garlic, and ginger, and process on high speed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, the peanut butter, soy sauce, chicken stock, cilantro, fish sauce, sherry, lime juice, sugar, and pepper flakes. Toss the sauce to taste with the noodles.
To serve, toss the noodles with the chicken strips, bell pepper, cucumber, peanuts, and remaining 2 tablespoons of green onions, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001