Cornmeal-Crusted Scallops with Corn Relish
- Corn Relish:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 24 sea scallops (about 1 pound), tough side mussels removed and patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 teaspoons Essence, plus more for dusting, recipe follows
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped fresh herbs, garnish
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Corn Relish: In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring until starting to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, the cumin, and coriander, and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the corn is caramelized, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, combine the corn and the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and let rest for 1 hour before serving.
Scallops: Lightly season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the water and 2 teaspoons of the Essence. In another bowl, combine the masa harina, flour and the remaining 4 teaspoons of Essence. One at a time, dip the scallops in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the masa mixture to coat evenly.
In a medium saucepan, heat enough oil to come 2 inches up the side of the pan over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F. Add the scallops in batches and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and lightly season with Essence. Divide the corn relish among 4 plates and arrange 6 scallops on top. Garnish with the chopped herbs and serve immediately.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Scallops with Mint Chutney, Sugarcane Skewered Sea Scallops with Mango Hearts of Palm Slaw and Scotch Bonnet Sugarcane Syrup, Scallop Salad with Haricots Verts and Truffle Oil, Dinner Party, Christmas Appetizer Recipes, Cheese Ball Recipes, Salmon Mousse Recipes, American, Deviled Egg Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.