Eggplant, Tomato and Feta Cheese Napoleons
- 1 pound eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices to equal 12 slices
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 3 large tomatoes, stems removed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices, to equal 12 slices
- Pesto Oil, recipe follows
- Pesto Oil:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a small bowl combine the cheese, basil, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
Place 1 eggplant slice on a salad plate. Top with 1 tablespoon of the cheese, then 1 slice of tomato. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of pesto oil over the tomato, then another tablespoon of cheese. Top with another eggplant slice, and continue assembling, with 3 eggplant slices per napoleon, and ending with a cheese layer on top drizzled with pesto oil. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.Pesto Oil:
In the bowl of a food processor or blender place the garlic and basil and process on high while adding the olive oil in a steady stream. Continue to process until well-blended, season with salt to taste.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001