Emeril's Oven-Braised Osso Buco with Orzo "Risotto"
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 4 veal shanks, about 1 1/2 -inches thick and tied tightly around the middle with kitchen string
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 quart rich veal or beef stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound (uncooked) dried orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, for serving
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until very hot. In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour with the Essence and dredge the shanks in the seasoned flour mixture. Shake to remove any excess flour, then transfer shanks to the pot and saute until well-browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the shanks to a plate and set aside. Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pot and saute until softened and lightly browned around the edges, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pot with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned particles. Add the stock and return the shanks to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the shanks are very tender, for about 2 1/2 hours.
Remove from the oven and add the parsley and orzo to the pot and stir to distribute evenly. Replace the cover and return the pot to the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the oven and stir gently. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve immediately, 1 shank per person on top of a bed of orzo "risotto". Garnish with some of the grated Parmesan.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.