- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces ground or finely chopped chaurice sausage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled fresh or thawed frozen green fava beens
In a heavy saucepan heat oil and cook the onion and green pepper until veggies are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the chaurice, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the favas and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 15 minutes if using fresh. (Note: If using frozen favas make sure to peel them before adding them to the tomato sauce. They should cook in about the same length of time, perhaps a little longer, as fresh.) Add a bit of water as needed if the tomato sauce becomes too thick before the beans are tender.
When the favas are tender, discard the bay leaf and season with salt, to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004