Golden Spaghetti Squash (Doce Dourado de Chila)
- 6 (4-inch) rounds basic sponge cake (1/2 sheet cake), recipe follows
- 1 cup orange simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1 cup Spaghetti Squash Jam, recipe above
- 5 ounces toasted almonds, roughly ground
- 10 egg yolks
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Orange Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange, zested
Brush the cakes with 3/4 cup of the simple syrup and set aside.
In a saucepan, combine the jam with the remaining 1/4 cup of simple syrup, over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add the almonds and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and place back over the heat. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.For Orange Simple Syrup:
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Cool.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000