Italian-style Sausages, Onions and Peppers
- 1 (12-ounce) package Emeril's Kicked Up Smoked Sausages or other smoked sausages, sliced into rounds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Bruschetta, recipe follows, optional accompaniment
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, place the sausages and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the olive oil to the fat remaining in the pan and when hot, add the onions, bell peppers, oregano, salt, and pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, 1 minute. Return the sausages to the pan and cook, stirring, until warmed through and well blended, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Arrange the sausages on a platter and pass with small plates, or serve on bruschetta as a passed hors d'oeuvre.Bruschetta:
1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat the grill to medium-high, or the oven to 400 degrees F.
Brush 1 side of each slice lightly with olive oil. Place the bread slices on the grill and cook until marked and lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. (Alternatively, place the bread slices on a large baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, about 8 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheet before handling or serving.)
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 3 dozen pieces
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray