Lean Mean Turkey Loaf
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Baby Bam, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Baby Bam Seasoning:
- Here's something to season your foods, like the grown-ups do with Emeril's Original Essence. Add another dimension by sprinkling it into everything, from soups and sauces to pizza and hamburger patties. You fearless bammers out there can kick this up a notch by adding cayenne, to taste. (I'd start with about 1/4 teaspoon, and then take it from there.)
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Wash your hands and place the turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the onion, bread crumbs, celery, bell pepper, egg, 1 tablespoon of the ketchup, the garlic, Baby Bam, salt, and ground pepper, and mix with your hands until the ingredients are well incorporated.
Pour the remaining 3 tablespoons of ketchup on the turkey and smear evenly over the top with the back of a spoon.
Bake until brown on top, cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reaches 165 degrees F, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the loaf from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
You can easily make the turkey loaf into turkey burgers just by shaping them into burgers and cooking them like Baby Bam Burgers.Baby Bam Seasoning:
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine with a wooden spoon.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Yield: about 3/4 cup
Recipe courtesy There's a Chef in My Soup! by Emeril Lagasse, published by HarperCollins, 2002