Monkfish Stew with Saffron Broth and Wild Mushrooms
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 18 ounces monkfish, cleaned and cut into 1-inch dice
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup assorted wild mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cleaned spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine the stock and saffron and let sit for 15 minutes to allow the saffron to infuse.
Season the monkfish with Essence.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned monkfish and saute for 1 minute. Then add the mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, green onions, garlic, and spinach and saute for 1 minute.
Pour in the stock and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt pepper and transfer a serving plate. Serve immediately.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse