Next Day Sausage Meatball Po-Boys
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1 large loaf French bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 recipe reheated meatballs and gravy, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy:
- Red Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 cloves garlic, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 4 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, pureed with their juice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- Sausage Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Lightly wrap the French bread in aluminum foil and place in the oven until warmed, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and increase the heat to broil.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and peppers and cook, stirring, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with the Essence.
Slice the French bread crosswise into 4 portions, and then cut each piece lengthwise. Spread both cut sides of the bread generously with mayonnaise, and divide the hot meatballs and some of the sauce between the 4 sandwich bottoms. Divide the grated mozzarella and Parmesan between the sandwiches, then top each sandwich with onions and peppers. Top with more of the remaining sauce. Place the bottom of the sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining bread. Serve immediately.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cupSausage Meatballs:
In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 6 minutes. Add the garlic and fennel, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until paste begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups of water, and Essence, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, sweet sausage, hot sausage, garlic, eggs, Essence, salt, and black pepper, and mix briefly but thoroughly to distribute seasonings. Shape into meatballs and set aside, refrigerated.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and do not stir until the meatballs float to the top of the sauce, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir well, and simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming any fat that rises to the surface. Taste, adjust seasoning as necessary, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Jamie Oliver