Normandy Apple and Cream Tart with Calvados Whipped Cream
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large wedges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons, plus 1 tablespoon Calvados
- 1 prepared sweet tart crust, recipe follows
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- Sweet Tart Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water, as needed
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, toss the apples with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
In a bowl fitted with an electric mixer, combine 1/2 cup sugar and eggs. Beat until pale and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the creme fraiche and 2 teaspoons Calvados and beat for 1 minute.
Decoratively arrange the apples evenly over the bottom of the baked tart shell. Pour the cream mixture over the apples and spread to the edges. Bake until the cream is set and the apples are tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour.
In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks start to form. Add 2 teaspoons of confectioners' sugar and the remaining tablespoon of Calvados and beat until stiff peaks start to form. Transfer to a decorative bowl.Sweet Tart Dough:
Into a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Add the sugar, butter, and shortening, and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water, and work into a smooth dough, adding more water as needed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick to fit an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Line with parchment paper, fill with pie weights or beans, and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the paper and weights. Bake until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before making the tart.
Yield: 1 (11-inch) tart crust
Thank you! your flag was submitted.