- 1 pint sour cream, plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 whole egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound soft farmer's cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 whole egg
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons solid unsalted butter
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, flour, butter, 2 whole eggs, egg yolk, 2 teaspoons salt and olive oil. Knead the dough into a soft dough. Divide the dough in half and cover for 10 minutes. On a floured surface, roll each half of the dough into a thin circle 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough, using a 3-inch circle cutter. For the filling: In a saute pan, render the ground beef for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with Essence. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper-lined plate. In a mixing bowl, combine the cheese, ground beef, shallots, garlic, green onion and egg together.
Mix until thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle and fold over. Press and seal into half-moon shapes. Use a little water to seal the pastries. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pirogi for 8 to 10 minutes or until they float. Remove from the water and drain. In a saute pan, melt some of the butter. Sear the pirogi for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. Remove from the pan. These pastries will need to be Sauteed in batches. Serve garnished with sour cream and parsley.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.