Portuguese Pickled Fish
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 6 (6-ounce) cod or haddock fillets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons shredded orange peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 oranges, sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season the flour with the Essence and lightly dredge the fish in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until just done, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a glass or ceramic baking dish large enough to fit the fish in one layer.
In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the fish, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 and up to 24 hours, turning the fish and basting occasionally.
Remove from the refrigerator. Transfer the fish to a platter, garnish with the orange slices and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.