Root Vegetable Chowder
- 3/4 pound bacon, julienned
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 cup small diced parsnips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1/4 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Fried beet chips, for garnish, optional
In a hot stockpot, render the bacon for 5 minutes. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and parsnips. Saute for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and wilted. Season with salt and cayenne. Add the bay leaves. Stir in the flour and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken stock. Add the sweet potatoes and potatoes. Bring the liquid up to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in the half-and-half, parsley, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Garnish the soup with fried beet chips.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.