Ruby Red Grapefruit and Basil Sorbet
- 2 cups freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
- 2 cups simple syrup (equal amounts sugar and water heated until sugar dissolves; cool)
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a small saucepan, combine the grapefruit juice, simple syrup and the grapefruit zest and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the basil leaves. Set aside to steep in for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice to the sorbet base, strain through a fine mesh sieve and set aside to cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, then process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a freezer-proof container with a lid and freeze until firm, 6 to 8 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, 2008