Spinach, Mushroom, and Artichoke Casserole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 2 teaspoons
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta
- 1 cup grated monterey jack
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 6 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook until they give up their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, nutmeg, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add to the spinach mixture. Add the bread crumbs and mix well. Transfer to the prepared dish and top with a layer of Parmesan. Bake until the casserole is firm and the top is golden, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray