- 1 large butternut or acorn squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice or medium-grain rice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Place squash on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
Bring stock to simmer in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to very low. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and simmer until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add roasted squash. Add 1/2 cup hot stock; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining stock 1/2 cup at a time, allowing stock to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 25 minutes longer.