Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 6 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound shrimp
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup 1-inch chunks green bell peppers
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Hot white rice, accompaniment
To make the sauce, in a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of stock, the ketchup, sugar, juice, vinegar, soy, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons of stock and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the ginger, garlic, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides and bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the sauce and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Return the shrimp to the pan and add the pineapples, cherries, and green onions. Cook until the sauce is thick, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and serve over rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.