Turkey Roulade with Spinach and Mushrooms
- 1 boneless turkey breast half, about 3 pounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, tough stems trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Turkey Rub
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
On a large cutting board, place turkey breast on top of plastic wrap and make a butterfly cut. Cover with additional plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness of 1/2-inch. Roll turkey up and transfer to the refrigerator while you prepare the stuffing.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onions and garlic until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring, until caramelized around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach, 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and any juices have evaporated from the pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Once cooled, squeeze lightly to release any excess liquid, then transfer to a bowl and add the chopped turkey bacon and the bread crumbs. Mix well.
Lay the turkey breast flat on a clean work surface and remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Season the skin side of the turkey with the Essence, 1 teaspoon of the Turkey Rub, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Turn over so that the skin side is on the plastic wrap. Season the inside of the turkey with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Turkey Rub and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Arrange the spinach-mushroom stuffing over the turkey to reach within 1-inch from all edges. Carefully roll up the roulade. Using butcher's twine, tie the roulade at even intervals so that it remains tightly rolled. Rub the outside of the roulade with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and transfer to a rack inside of a shallow baking sheet. Roast until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the very center of the roulade registers 150 to 155 degrees F, usually 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes then slice into 1/2-inch slices and serve hot.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay