Warm Watercress Salad with Stir-Fried Beef and Kid-Friendly Kim Chee
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound flank steak, sliced into 1/8-inch thick, 2-inch-long slivers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces, green and white parts
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce mung bean sprouts
- 4 cups fresh watercress, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup Kim Chee, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leave
In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, and black pepper in a bowl. Add the steak and toss to coat with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours.
Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the beef and green onions, and cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and mung beans and cook, stirring, until wilted and warmed through, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Place the watercress in a large bowl and toss with the beef mixture and Kim Chee. Divide among 4 plates and garnish with the cilantro. Serve immediately.Kid-Friendly Kim Chee:
1/2 pound carrots, peeled and julienned
1/2 large daikon radish (about 1/2 pound), peeled and julienned
2 teaspoons mild paprika
Pinch cayenne, optional
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Combine the carrots, radishes, paprika, and cayenne in a large bowl.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool to room temperature.
Add the cooled vinegar mixture to the vegetables and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature at least 8 hours or overnight. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Kim Chee will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.)
Yield: about 4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.