Asian Rice Salad With Shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles and/or chopped peanuts
Whisk the garlic, ginger, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the dressing to a medium bowl, add the shrimp and toss. Add the carrot, celery and snow peas to the remaining dressing and toss.
Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the vegetables. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons water to the skillet and scrape up the browned bits with a wooden spoon, then add the liquid to the bowl with the shrimp. Let the skillet reheat, then add the remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and stir-fry the rice until toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Add the rice and scallions to the shrimp-vegetable mixture and toss. Divide among bowls and top with the lettuce, sprouts, chow mein noodles and/or peanuts.
Photograph by Kate Sears
Thank you! your flag was submitted.