Chicken Salad Sandwiches With Walnut-Dill Pesto
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch dill, leaves and tender stems (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 2 1/2 -pound rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 8 thick slices country white bread, lightly toasted
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Combine the onion, lemon juice, sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
Put the dill, walnuts and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture comes together, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed. Transfer the dill pesto to a large bowl and stir in the lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
Drain the onion and squeeze dry. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide the lettuce and tomatoes among 4 pieces of bread; top each with some chicken salad, onion and another piece of bread. Serve with chips.
Per serving: Calories 769; Fat 44 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 170 mg; Sodium 1,564 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 50 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.