Grilled Steak With Barley Salad
- 1 1 1/4 -to-1 1/2-pound boneless sirloin steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus the juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain or dijon mustard
Preheat a grill to high. Pierce the steak in a few spots with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Mix the Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl; add the steak and turn to coat. Grill the steak until marked on both sides and a thermometer inserted sideways into the center registers 125 degrees F, about 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the barley as the label directs, then remove from the heat. Stir in the carrots, celery, spinach, mushrooms and scallions; cover and set aside.
Whisk the lemon zest and juice, the mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl. Add the barley mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Thinly slice the steak against the grain and season with salt and pepper. Divide among plates and serve with the barley salad.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Grilled Pork Chops(00:05:16)
Steak and BLT Potatoes(00:03:29)
Guy's Grilled Lamb Sandwiches(00:04:02)
Cuban Pork Chops With Mojo(00:04:14)
C'mon, Baby, Light My Grill(00:01:49)
Balsamic Barbecue Chicken(00:04:56)
Grilled Feast on Saffron Orzo(00:03:46)
Grilling: What Would Bobby Do?(00:04:30)
Balsamic-Glazed Grilled Pizza(00:02:59)
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen