Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
From Food Network Kitchens
Two comfort food favorites come together to make a crowd-pleasing and fun new dish. We love that you get satisfying meatloaf and cheesy[, saucy lasagna in every bite. To save time, you can use 1 cup of your favorite prepared red sauce.]
- Kosher salt
- 8 sheets dried lasagna noodles (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for tossing and greasing
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 thinly sliced and 1 finely grated
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- One 14-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 to 3 fresh basil sprigs
- 5 slices bacon
- 12 ounces ground beef chuck
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 small yellow onion, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Ricotta, for serving
Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil, sliced garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir as the oil heats up; once it shimmers, add the crushed tomatoes, 3/4 cup water and the basil. Bring to a high simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and the water has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes (will be about 1 cup). Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Arrange the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove and finely chop when cool enough to handle.
Combine the bacon, beef, pork, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, grated garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly combine.
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and brush with oil. Combine the mozzarella and Parmesan.
Shape half of the meatloaf mixture into a 9- by 5-inch rectangle in the center of the prepared baking sheet. Make a slight indentation down the center and fill with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture and pat to form a loaf with a slightly rounded top, making sure to pinch and seal the sides.
Top the meatloaf with one-third of the sauce and sprinkle with one-third of the remaining cheese mixture. Lay 4 lasagna noodles, crosswise and slightly overlapping, over the meatloaf, completely covering. Top with another one-third each of sauce and cheese mixture. Repeat with the remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.