Mushroom Frittata with Endive Salad
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 4 heads endive, sliced crosswise
- 3 Campari or other small vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- Juice of lemon
Set a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 450 degrees F. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter, scallions, parsley, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until the scallions are wilted, about 3 minutes.
Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet in an even layer and cook until they start browning, about 3 minutes; sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until set, about 5 minutes.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos