Pan-Fried Cod with Slaw
- For the Slaw:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway or celery seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 head light-green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 gala apple, julienned
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- For the Fish:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 6 -ounce cod or other white-fleshed fish fillets
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cracker meal or crushed saltine crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Prepare the slaw: Whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, caraway seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Toss in the cabbage, carrot, apple and scallions; cover and refrigerate.
Prepare the fish: Whisk the egg and milk in a medium bowl; add the cod and set aside to soak. Mix the flour, cracker meal, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt on a plate.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the fish from the milk mixture and dredge in the flour mixture, turning to coat. Fry in the hot oil until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the slaw and extra mustard.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.