- 3 stalks celery (1 quartered, 2 thinly sliced)
- 3 small cloves garlic (2 smashed, 1 chopped)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, halved horizontally
- 1 small avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, torn
- 1 tablespoon capers, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 2 cups croutons
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
Combine the quartered celery, smashed garlic, half of the lemon juice, 10 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover, add the carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots and shrimp to a colander and rinse under cold water. Return the water to a boil, add the scallops and cook until opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the scallops with a slotted spoon, add to the colander and rinse under cold water.
Ladle out 1/3 cup of the poaching liquid; set aside to cool. Dice half of the avocado and combine with the sliced celery, lettuce, capers and croutons in a large bowl. Add the carrots, shrimp and scallops.
Puree the remaining avocado half in a blender with the reserved poaching liquid, the remaining lemon juice, the caper brine, chopped garlic, mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Toss with the salad and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 350; Fat 12 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 149 mg; Sodium 783 mg; Carbohydrate 31 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 32 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.