Skirt Steak with Mango Salsa and Romaine
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 10 min
- 10 min
- Mango Salsa:
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1/2 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped,
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 -pounds skirt steak
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 8 to 10 leaves Romaine, for serving
- 1 to 2 Kirby cucumber, sliced, for serving
1. Preheat a grill to high.
2. Crush garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and mash into a coarse paste using flat side of a large knife. Mix garlic paste together with mango, scallions, habanero, lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and cilantro. Set aside.
3. Pat steak dry and trim and if needed, cut in half to fit grill. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, allspice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl and rub on both sides of steak. Grill until slightly charred, crisp, and medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice meat into about 3-inch long sections; thinly slice each section.
4. Place sliced steak on a serving platter with salsa, romaine leaves, and cucumber slices.
Total Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 6.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 15 grams
Protein: 37 grams
Sodium: 239 milligrams
Cholesterol: 97 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams