Slimmed Down - Open-faced Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras-style curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- 4 slices wheat bread or 2 whole wheat English muffins, toasted
Put the chicken in a saucepan along with the water and salt. Bring just to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, just the chicken is just firm, about 15 minutes. Set chicken aside off the heat, to cool and finish cooking in the liquid. When cool, pull apart by hand into shredded bite-size pieces.
Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, curry, grated ginger and parsley in a bowl. Add chicken, almonds, and pineapple, and fold to coat evenly. Make open faced sandwiches with the salad and watercress on the bread or muffins. Serve.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.