Spinach, Pear and Chicken Salad
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 12 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 8 cups baby spinach (about 5 ounces)
- 4 endives, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally to make 2 thin cutlets; season with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly golden and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to cool, then thinly slice.
Meanwhile, combine the cranberries, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 45 seconds to plump the cranberries. Let cool.
Whisk the cranberry-vinegar mixture, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a slow stream until blended. Add the chicken, spinach, endives, almonds, pear, about half of the cheese, and salt and pepper to taste; toss to combine. Divide among bowls and top with the remaining cheese.
Per serving: Calories 404; Fat 22 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 461 mg; Carbohydrate 26 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 28 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.