Squash and Pork Casserole
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces ground pork
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (preferably whole-wheat)
- 1 14 .5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (5 ounces)
- 1 large yellow squash, halved crosswise and thinly sliced lengthwise
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, breaking up the pork, until slightly browned, 2 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, half of the scallions and 2 tablespoons panko; cook 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, half of the parsley and 1/3 cup water. Increase the heat to high; cook until slightly thickened, 3 minutes.
Combine the cottage cheese, 3/4 cup Mexican cheese and the remaining parsley in a bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons panko in a 9-inch-square baking dish. Top with half of the squash, overlapping slightly; season with salt. Top with two-thirds of the pork sauce and the cheese mixture. Add the remaining squash; season with salt. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons panko, pork sauce and 1/2 cup Mexican cheese.
Cover with foil and bake until the cheese melts and the squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and turn on the broiler; broil until golden, 2 minutes. Top with the remaining scallions.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine