Vegetable Couscous with Moroccan Pesto
- For the Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and some stems)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (stems reserved for couscous)
- 2 tablespoons whole almonds
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- For the Couscous:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 14 -ounce can peeled tomatoes, halved
- 2 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini and/or 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
Prepare the vegetables for the couscous: Heat a wide heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the butter begins to brown. Add the onion. Tie the reserved parsley stems and cinnamon stick together with twine; add to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup water, carrots, zucchini and/or Swiss chard, raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the parsley and cinnamon.
Meanwhile, cook the couscous as the label directs. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, season with salt and pepper and fluff with a fork. Top the couscous with the vegetables and pesto.
Per serving: Calories 525; Fat 29 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 30 mg; Sodium 1,364 mg; Carbohydrate 60 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 11 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.