Fresh Thyme, Garlic and Lemon Broiled Catfish with Bread Crumbs
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
- Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Preheat the oven to the broil setting, and adjust the oven rack to about 6-inches from the broiler unit.
Season the catfish fillets on both sides with the Essence, salt and white pepper. Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and thyme; stir to blend. Use a small spoon to dab the garlic and oil mixture evenly over the catfish, being sure to coat each piece of fish evenly. Once the fish is seasoned and dabbed with the garlic olive oil, drizzle the lemon juice over the fish and sprinkle each fish with 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the bread crumbs and place the catfish under the broiler to cook. Broil the catfish for 6 to 7 minutes, turn around and cook for another 6 to 7 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup