GZ's Red Sangria
- 2 bottles fruity red wine, such as Beaujolais
- 1 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 cup brandied pitted cherries
- 1 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup elderflower liqueur, such as St-Germain
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 bottle cava
- Fresh mint or basil sprigs, for garnish
Combine the wine, orange liqueur, cherries, peaches, raspberries, elderflower liqueur and lemon zest in a large-mouth glass bowl or cruet. Stir gently with a wooden spoon, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Just before serving, pour in the cava and stir very gently. Put large ice cubes in glasses, ladle the sangria into the glasses and garnish with fresh mint or basil sprigs.
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian