Shaved Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- 12 thick asparagus spears
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Special equipment: mandoline
Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus. Shave the fennel bulb on a mandoline into very thin slices. In a large bowl, toss the shaved vegetables, basil and minced walnuts in a medium bowl. Dress the salad with the oil, lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Plate, and top each with Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings, then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian