Stuffing is commonly made with bread or croutons, which makes it off limits to low-carbers. But it doesn't have to be made that way. There's nothing wrong and everything right with substituting chopped vegetables to make up the missing bulk. So don't get stuffed. Try this recipe instead of all that bread!
- 3/4 pound turkey sausage (you may use pork breakfast sausage)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Equipment: 8 by 8-inch square baking dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat the eggs in a bowl. Using a spoon, mix in the sausage mixture and all the remaining ingredients. Pour the stuffing into the baking dish and bake until hot and browned, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.