Before starting this recipe, make sure everything is ready-to-go because the cooking moves really fast. By the way, the hot cherry peppers are only suggested and NOT for the weak at heart!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh turkey sausage (about 8 links), cut in 1/2
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and separated
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-sugar-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves, plus some for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 marinated hot cherry peppers, optional
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- Equipment: oval gratin dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. (Don't fully cook the sausage, as it will be finished in the oven.) Drain the fat from the skillet.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the mushrooms, cherry peppers, and Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes.
Combine the sausage, vegetable mixture, mushrooms, and cherry peppers in the gratin dish. Bake uncovered until well browned, about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with basil leaves and Parmesan.