Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, outer layers removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- One 10-ounce bunch kale, center rib removed, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 turkey or chicken Italian sausage links
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a grill pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, onion, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes (plus juices), beans, kale and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the kale has wilted, 25 to 30 minutes.
While the stew is cooking, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Add the sausages and grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Remove the pan from the oven and add the cooked sausage slices. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spoon the stew into bowls and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis