Green Bean and Fennel Salad
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 8 to 10 lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Boil green beans in large pot. Let cook 2 to 3 minutes depending on thickness of beans. Strain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. Trim fennel and cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Cut bell pepper in 1/4-inch strips. Refrigerate, covered, until service.
Whisk together vinegar and mustard in small bowl. Mash garlic and salt together with back of fork to make a paste. Whisk into vinegar. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Cover and refrigerate.
When ready to serve, arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter. Toss green beans, bell peppers and fennel with dressing and spread over lettuce.
Recipe courtesy of Calhoun Cooking School, Minn, MN