Grouper Ceviche with Jicama and Avocado Slaw
- For the fish:
- 12 ounces skinless grouper fillets
- For the marinade/dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Kosher salt
- For the salad:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly toasted and ground cumin
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup jicama, peeled and sliced into matchstick size pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
First, thinly slice the fillets and then cut them into 3/4-inch bite-sized squares. Keep them very cold while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Set that bowl inside a larger one, filled with ice. Now prepare the salad.
Gently mix the grouper and the marinade/dressing and let stand for about 10 minutes. Into 4 chilled bowls, spoon the ceviche with its liquid. Serve the salad, family-style, and encourage the guests to top their ceviche with salad.
If you can get Cancha (Latin American corn nuts) and toast, they make a fantastic and authentic addition to this dish. I sometimes like to drizzle coconut milk onto the citrus juices. Or, I season the dish with tiny dots of soy sauce and sesame oil.