Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp and Remoulade Sauce
- Fried tomatoes:
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups hot sauce, such as Louie's All Spiced Up Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian dressing mix
- 2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons dry crab boil seasoning, such as Zatarain's
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Louie's All Spiced Up Sauce
- 8 large shrimp, shells on
- Remoulade sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (preferably Blue Plate)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole mustard, such as Zatarain's
- 1 scant tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes of hot sauce, such as Louie's All Spiced Up Sauce
- Shredded lettuce, for serving
1. For the tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F and heat the oil in a deep cast-iron or other skillet to 350 degrees F. Beat the eggs, milk, and hot sauce in a shallow dish. Put the flour into another shallow dish. In a third shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs and dry Italian dressing mix. Dip the tomato slices in the flour, then the egg wash, and then the breadcrumb mixture. (Hint: Use one hand for the egg wash and the other for the dry flour and breadcrumbs.) Transfer to the oil and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
2. For the shrimp: Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan and add the crab boil, onion, lemon, and hot sauce. Stir and add the shrimp. Boil until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool, and peel.
4. To serve: Line a plate with shredded lettuce. Add 2 slices fried green tomatoes. Top each tomato with 1 boiled shrimp. Fill a squeeze bottle with the remoulade sauce and drizzle decoratively.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.